Picture from Google Images
The city of Los Angeles knows when it is almost Fall. It seems as though the wardrobe switch from cutoffs to layers occurred sometime in the last week, which means that Autumn is on everyone's mind. So, I thought to myself, are there any precautions to take during Fall for pet owners? After a quick google search, it turns out there are!
This week's blog is inspired by an article on the ASPCA website. Since Fall is fast approaching, there are a few things to look out for in regards to your furry friend!
1. School Supplies
For any of you downtown residents with kids, it's always a great idea to keep the backpacks and school supplies out of your pet's reach. Since it is back-to-school season, the habit of keeping things on counters and not on floors can be a tough one to reinitiate. Don't let your pet get an upset tummy because they ate the glue stick (or homework).
2. Wild life
If you are traveling to more open spaces this Autumn, please keep a safe distance from any wild life that you spot. This seems like a no-brainer, but there are far too many YouTube videos to prove that humans approaching wild life don't always have the best judgement. Don't be one of those people. I don't want to reference you next year in this same blog.
Along the same lines as the approaching of wild life, the fact that you probably shouldn't let your pet ingest random mushrooms is common sense. I have already spotted some in Spring St. Park. Those are likely some of the 99% of fungi that are not toxic to dogs, but I still wouldn't risk it. The other 1% can be deadly.
This is probably the most important one for us downtowners to pay attention to, as we have a very high rat population. And, if the rats are anything like us humans in LA (trained to exist in perfect weather), the small temperature change for Fall will persuade them to enter into more and more buildings. That means more poison to kill them will be present-- if not because of your doing, then perhaps your neighbors or even building staff has put down some poison. Please be cautious inside your building and don't let your best friend eat rat poison or any other rodenticides.
Hope you guys enjoy the beginning of the season change! Please leave some comments if you have your own tips for fall! :D